I always look forward to the first shoots of rhubarb poking though the soil in the spring. I know winter is ending and soon I’ll be eating one of my favorite desserts…rhubarb cake! Yum!
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 1/4 c. sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 c. chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar together. (I always use my KitchenAid Stand Mixer.)
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Add the vanilla to the buttermilk and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Alternate adding the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture to the large bowl containing butter/sugar/egg.
- Stir in chopped rhubarb.
- Spread cake batter into a greased 9" X 13" pan.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 c. sugar and the cinnamon and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
This cake is delicious, as is, but you can jazz it up with fresh strawberries and/or ice cream.