This is my mother-in-law’s recipe for bread and butter pickles. I have fond memories of making this recipe with her. Before I met her, I’d only had bread and butter pickles from the grocery store and I wasn’t a big fan of them. This recipe changed everything for me. This is one of my favorites that I make every year.
- 4 quarts very thinly sliced cucumbers
- 6 medium white onions, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced or chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced or chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 c. salt
- Pickling Mixture:
- 5 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp, celery seed
- 2 Tbsp. mustard see
- 3 c. apple cider vinegar (5% acidity)
- Sprinkle 1/3 c. salt over sliced veggies and garlic.
- Cover with crushed or cracked ice. Mix thoroughly.
- When ice has melted, drain off liquid.
- Combine the vinegar mixture ingredients in a separate bowl.
- In a large pot, combine veggies and vinegar mixture.
- Heat to just boiling.
- Put pickles in jars to withing 1/2 inch of top.
- Put lids on tight!
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes for quart jars, 5 minutes for pint jars.