This is one of the first recipes my mom taught me to make as a kid. Back then, I always topped the the chocolate mountains with snow/marshmallow. My grown-up self craves even more chocolate, so I top with Hershey’s chocolate squares, more often than not.
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. cocoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. real vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1/2 c. evaporated milk
- marshmallow or chocolate pieces
- Cream shortening, sugar,and vanilla together.
- Add evaporated milk and and water. Mix.
- Shift dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cocoa, salt) together. Add to wet ingredients, mix well.
- Stir in nuts. if desired.
- Drop batter (about 1 Tablespoon) onto greased cookie sheet or parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, top with large marshmallows, cut in half, or chocolate.
- Cool on rack.